London, February 2017. Over GBP £8,000 have been raised so far for the fitting of two new stained glass windows as part of the Portuguese Centenary Appeal.
The first window will be a memorial dedicated to the Portuguese casualties of the First World War in Britain. The second window will commemorate the King Manuel II, who lived in exile in Twickenham from 1911 – 1932.
Both windows will be placed in St James’s Church, Twickenham, in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, to promote the historic British and Portuguese alliance and celebrate the institutions and figures that have strengthened this relationship.
The donations have been raised through various fundraising activities organised by the Anglo Portuguese Society and the Church including an Evensong held at St George’s Chapel, Windsor, on 9 May 2016 commemorating the 630th Anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Windsor between England and Portugal and a Solemn Requiem Mass held at the Church of Our Lady of the Assumption and St Gregory, Warwick Street, London on 22 July 2016, to mark the Centenary Anniversary of the formation of the Portuguese Expeditionary Force, and to honour the Portuguese who sacrificed their lives in tis conflict.
Further fundraising events both by the Appeal and other third parties are currently being planned.